Monday, October 5, 2009

I love my job.

Last week, I had the unpleasant task of terminating yet another employee. No matter what anyone says, I do *not* enjoy this part of my job. It's a necessary evil, and I've come to terms with it, but it's by no means a top-10 activity. Usually, though, the person being terminated a) kind of sees it coming, and b) wants to get out of the experience with a shred of dignity left.

Not so much last week. I met with the person, explained the performance problems and that I was unfortunately terminating her employment, and she went absolutely bonkers. Crying hysterically and screaming unintelligibly. Flailing her arms. Throwing herself on the floor and *grabbing my ankles.*

Please, please picture this.

It took absolutely every ounce of decency in me not to break out in hysterical laughter.

I did not, and as such, can still live with myself.

But seriously -- definitely on the list of "what not to do" if your employer tells you you're being let go.


No comments: