Thursday, October 15, 2009

Heartbreaking ... and not.

So -- after 10 months of training, fundraising and general hard work, Mother Nature has decided that she had other plans for the weekend.

Day 1 and Day 2 of the 3-Day have been canceled. We're still walking on Sunday -- about 15 miles -- and still having the Closing Ceremonies.

I know that the event organizers made a gut-wrenching decision -- and I know that it was absolutely to ensure the safety of the participants, and I completely respect their decision, and know they made the right one -- but man, I am so horribly upset about it.

I committed to the 3-Day for so many reasons -- chief among them to prove to myself that I could do this. Walk 60 miles. Raise $2300. Train for 3/4 of a year. Sporty Spice I'm not, and very few people in my life would've thought that this would be something that I'd even *want* to do, let alone be able to do.

But I have. I've done it.

And now I can't do the walk.

But ...

I have still raised -- just me -- over $3200 to fight breast cancer, and to help support research, education and prevention.

I have still trained for 10 months, and have walked almost 1,000 miles in training since January 2, when I decided to do this.

And ...

I still don't have breast cancer.

And I guess I have some rainwear I can return.

No comments: