Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's resolutions?

To make or not to make ... that is always my question. My training in behavior analysis tells me that New Year's resolutions are about as realistic as winning the lottery -- but my romantic side says, hey: someone's gotta win, right?

So, while I'm sitting here, listening to the wind howl, I've given it a little thought, and come up with a bit of a list. A few are easy, and not even really resolutions, like doing the 3-Day in October again (and praying for sunny skies), and walking another 1000 miles, in preparation for the 3-Day.

Another is silly, and at 30 years old (almost 31, good grief ... ), I should've mastered this by now: I'm resolving to take my thyroid medicine every day. I know, I know -- how hard is that, really? -- but, well, there it is.

But, it's my biggest resolution that's by far the most exciting -- I'm resolving to venture into that very serious and grown-up arena known as home-ownership. Yup, that's right -- I'm going to buy a house. Me, myself. Bring on the ugly wallpaper and bad carpet and retro-tiled bathrooms and cottage-cheese ceilings, I am up for the challenge.

In the meantime, I'm getting my financial ducks in a row, making a list of non-negotiables and nice-to-haves, and hoping that whatever new place I find will be a little better insulated than my current abode. So long, waking up in a 62 degree bedroom! Farewell, frozen toes! (And tomorrow, I'll be hitting the Lowe's for some plastic window insulation sheets ... )


No comments: