Monday, March 2, 2009

Serendipity.

The snow that fell last night and this morning wasn't entirely unexpected -- that is, the local weather station had been predicting this late-winter monster storm for more than a week. I was up at the crack of dawn (and late into last night) talking with staff and administrators from school, worrying about staff driving safely, and about coverage for the programs. 

However, when Hadley and I went for a winter adventure (that's how I sold myself on the prospect of wading through ankle-deep powder amidst still blizzard-like conditions -- it was an *adventure!*) this morning, we saw the remains of a car accident blocking the entrance/exit to our neighborhood. The cars were banged up, but the passengers were fine -- and the realization that I wouldn't be able to get out of the neighborhood was a silver lining to the dumping of snow.

I never skip out on work -- and I had fully intended to brave the elements to get to there -- but today was pure serendipity. I hadn't realized how much I needed another day to recharge; last week's trip to Florida was very good, but very tiring, and I guess two days just weren't enough to be back to 100%. Tomorrow, though, I'll be back in the saddle.

Training was a little derailed by my trip, though I did get in two walks on Saturday and Sunday -- four and five miles, respectively. Tomorrow will be a chance to get back to weekday walking, and I'll make the trek to the Y after work.

Thursday is my birthday (!), and I'm having dinner at Firebirds with some girls from work, and Saturday afternoon, I'm heading to Baltimore to have dinner with Dad and James (who, by the way, just got into grad school!).

No comments: