Friday, April 3, 2009

Hard to separate

I'm experiencing some cognitive dissonance. 

Recently, my mom and several extremely close friends have been treated quite badly by an organization in which I've always had tremendous faith. Granted, I've had ups and downs over the years in terms of my particular approval rating of said organization, but on the whole, I think it's a good one. It's an organization to which I've given countless hours and dollars, and to which I have sacrificed the at-least-temporary health of two more-than-significant personal relationships. I get the value to the individuals served, and I get the importance of the mission -- even the former Great Rivers version of the mission: helping girls grow up to be caring, competent, confident women.

However -- I'm having a really hard time separating the local morons and their gross mismanagement from the organization and its value as a whole, and that's causing no small amount of stress and frustration.

This self-same organization is the one where I learned that you can't go too far wrong in life if you try every day to do your best to do the following:

- be honest
- be fair
- help where I am needed
- be cheerful
- be friendly and considerate 
- be a sister to every Girl Scout
- respect authority
- use resources wisely
- protect and improve the world around me
and
- show respect for myself and others through my words and actions.

This particular credo has been updated over the years, but this is the one I grew up with (and still remember). Interestingly, if you check the website of the national organization, it says specifically "The Girl Scout Promise and Law are shared by every member of Girl Scouting. The Girl Scout Promise ("On my honor, I will try to serve God and my country, to help people at all times, and to live by the Girl Scout Law") is the way Girl Scouts agree to act every day toward one another and other people, and the Law outlines a way to act toward one another and the world."

The actions that the volunteer board of directors of the local southern Indiana organization have taken in the past 90 days have been anything but in keeping with the Promise and Law that are supposed to drive the decisions and behavior of the organization as a whole as well as its individual members.  I'm completely disappointed in them and their hypocrisy, and in their lack of regard for the way in which we're supposed to treat each other as members of this organization.

Climbing off the soap box now ... 



No comments: