Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Small pleasures

Today was truly awful. 

I finally fell asleep sometime after 0345, and was rudely awakened by a pouncing cat (on my head) at 0630. 

I burned my hand on the teakettle.

I spent hours and hours in frustrating, often-pointless meetings, in which the only things I really learned were that a) I have very little patience for talking-for-talking's-sake, b) three hours of sleep is *not* enough, c) I have very little patience for most things, and d) I have a craptastic amount of work to do before the end of the month.

Just when it seemed like I might get to my office and actually start on the craptastic amount of work, I was pulled into yet another meeting, in which very little was decided, but more work was assigned.

When I finally did get to my office, the lunch that I was so looking forward to was disappointing.

My office felt like a hotel lobby -- the door was revolving, and people seemed to have very few other places they needed to go once they got there. (I can tell you though, the "open door" policy is fully taken advantage of ... don't have to worry about that.)

Three people said to me, "Are you okay? You look really tired." (Yes, I'm tired, but please don't point out that I look like crap. I did try to look nice today.)

It's raining.

But ... (were you waiting for the small pleasures part?) when I got home, I found new DVDs from Netflix in my mailbox -- including not one, but *two* discs of Dawson's Creek, Season 4 (where Pacey & Joey finally hook up ... I'm a geek, don't judge me). 

I am so irrationally happy about that, I could spit.

I am making some cinnamon toast & chamomile tea, and I am going to sit mindlessly in my chair, with my favorite quilt and watch Dawson's until about 9 p.m., when I am going to go to bed.

I guess today wasn't so bad after all.

No comments: