Sunday, February 15, 2009

Update

I'm currently in Indiana -- an unexpected trip after finding out my mom was admitted to the hospital on Friday afternoon, with a fever and some kind of infection. She had a spinal tap and that was clear -- which is good news: no meningitis -- but we're waiting on the results of the histoplasmosis culture, which will likely be positive. Hopefully, we'll get that information early tomorrow, and they'll be able to start meds and get her on her way home, before I need to leave on Tuesday. If not, my grandma is planning to come here on Tuesday to take over my visitor role -- maybe even on Monday night, which might mean a visit with her, too.

On a positive note, being out here means getting to spend time with mom, as well as to see some friends, which is a silver lining to this whole thing. Yay for dinner & breakfast with Nicole (yay also for the Village Deli!), and a visit with Elizabeth & Erin this afternoon. 

My friend Nicole's mom had a mastectomy for stage 2 breast cancer on Friday and is facing chemo and radiation since the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes, so she's in my thoughts. I think Nicole may join me for the 3-Day in October, which would be terrific. And either way, her mom will join the list of folks that we're walking for. Nicole is actually one of the people who inspired my 3-Day participation; she lost her partner to breast cancer about 10 years ago. Julie was right around 30 years old. She is one of the women who have needlessly lost their lives to this disease, and one of the many reasons that we must cure this.


No comments: