Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A beautiful day

Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States of America today. With tears in my eyes, I stood in the living room at the dorm, watching the inauguration and being surrounded by my kids and staff, all watching. 

It's uncommon for most of my kids to pay attention to much for very long, but it was absolutely amazing to see how the kids responded to both the emotional atmosphere created by the staff, but also to Obama himself -- several really aggressive kids were totally transfixed, intently watching and listening. I sort of wonder when the awestruck feeling will wear off -- but I hope it takes a good long while, because right now, I just feel hopeful.

True, Rick Warren is not who I would choose to speak for this new President, but if there's anything to be learned from Obama, it's the acceptance of those with different views; I just struggle to truly have a mind that is open enough to accept those whose minds seem so closed.

But -- back to the joyous feelings: a neat New Yorker profile about Barack & Michelle Obama; these people just seem too wonderful to be true.

And, in training news, a really great 5k tonight. My last mile was 2 minutes faster than the pace for my first two. Yay.

No comments: