Saturday, January 10, 2009

Gratitude

Many good things over the course of the day, most of which probably don't rate commentary. (Like yay for me for getting an oil change, picking up my dry cleaning, and returning the mail that didn't belong to me. Compelling stuff.)

And a faboo (thank you, Jen Lancaster, yet again for enriching my vocabulary) new hair cut with new-and-improved highlights was definitely a highlight (couldn't resist). 

But -- more importantly, I had a free afternoon and took advantage of that time to go and visit my grandparents in New Jersey. They only live about an hour and a half from me, and I haven't made the time to see them as often as I should. My grandma is in early-to-mid stage Alzheimer's, and had a nasty bout of sarcoidosis over the summer (during which time I was visiting more regularly), and I will be very, very sad and angry with myself if I wake up one day having not spent more time with her, and she doesn't remember me. So -- spur of the moment, I called and told them I was going to be in the area (a fib, but they would've protested had I just said "I'm coming to visit you"), and did they mind if I dropped by? They were happy, it was good to see them, and it was something that made me feel good and was also good for someone else. Gotta love it when doing the 'right' thing also turns out to be enjoyable.

Told Grandma & Grandpa about the 3-day, and they were suitably impressed, which was nice, too. 

As if the day needed to be improved upon, now I'm home, having gotten to stop at the Cherry Hill Wegman's as my reward for such good deeds (that place is AWESOME! Run, don't walk, to your nearest Wegmans! It's a little bit like Disneyland for foodies ...), and am now baking a lobster-stuffed Portobello mushroom, and heating up some haricots verts with mustard glaze (those were from last night, though). It's snowing, I have a new disc of The Tudors to watch, and there is definitely hot chocolate (made the right way -- on the stove, with milk) in my future.

Bliss.

No comments: